Marshall Art Studio:

Skip to Content

Marshall Art Studio: Illustration Friday

[Back to top]

Illustration Friday

iFriday

Tech Talk

Corel Painter IX, Gouache tool. From start to finish, this probably took 3 hours to "finish".

I'm Baaaaack ...

I've been to busy with career and family stuff to iFriday lately, but it's never been far from my mind. My trusty Wacom tablet died, and didn't get replaced until last month. And truthfully, some of the iFriday themes haven't been that exciting to me. However, waiting around for the perfect theme to roll around was sounding more like an excuse as the months rolled on.

Content

This illustration depicts a very specific breakup situation. Probably too personal to bring up here.

iFridaynista

I noticed a lot of romantic interpretations of this week's theme. Seems like I haven't been gone a long time.

Comments So Far ...

Blogger Tina Vaziri says:

Love the movement in the figure and the colors! Permanent Link

Blogger Terry says:

Wow! Ha!! So, I guess you put your heart on ice until you were able to drive to the hospital and have it reattached? Permanent Link

Blogger Amy says:

Ah, not a rejection from IF - of course not, they didnt reject catwoman's spanking...

Well its nice to have you back and proliferating. Permanent Link

Blogger Brine Blank says:

Been there and done that...although never by a red head...not for lack of looking mind you...nice job with the heart and goo...Was wondering where you went to (I took about a 5 week break because of end of year stuff and my kids...I had the ideas drawn out on envelopes but never got around to drawing the final napkin stage)...keep your chin up... Permanent Link

Blogger Claire says:

Fantastic! Permanent Link

Blogger aeneadellaluna says:

Such a nice take on the topic! I like the scene you captured it really well! Permanent Link

Anonymous "Jazzy" John Garcia says:

Ouch! Looks like a lot of Personal Feeling in this one! A great cover for a Romance/Horror comic-book hybrid. You're no Dave Stevens, but I'm always surprised to find that you draw Really Hot Women (like French movie stars, they're sexy but accessible).

However, your lighting is inconsistent. Your Dave-surrogate has his head and neck in a dark noir-ish shadow, very good, very dramatic....which doesn't affect the rest of his body! Permanent Link

Anonymous K. Lai says:

Jebus, Dave Marshall. All I need to say is, we love a Dave Marshall in our coffeeshop. There's another thing -- all men are assholes and all women are fucked up. And another, I distrust men, but I distrust women further. Let me know if I can ever sneak you a free coffee and pie. Permanent Link

Blogger JO says:

Dave, this is a bad break-up. Now that's rejection!! Glad to see you back. Permanent Link

Blogger Nancy Bea says:

Yeeowch! Hope he gets it back in place eventually. Great piece! Permanent Link

Blogger Twisselman says:

Yowzah! You're right... this topic did bring out some painful memories/thoughts. Good job... but OUCH! Permanent Link

Blogger ElizT says:

Gad! Heart transplant without anaesthetic!
[Thanks for your nice comment] Permanent Link

Blogger Catnapping says:

ouch! i hate it when that happens! Permanent Link

Anonymous Sue Trupin says:

WOW!! Although surely borne from the misery of the artist, it is a brilliant image excellently executed. really terrific. Permanent Link

What the Heck is Illustration Friday?

Think of it as a voluntary, client-free playground for illustrators. A topic is posted every Friday morning. Participants from around the world create, post and share their interpretations.

No Client? Why Bother?

At this stage of my career, I need a weekly public exercise to draw anything at all.

Freshness Dating

Unless otherwise stated, my iFriday work is all-new, created soley for that week's theme. Other Freshness categories include:

• Repurposed
    Old art, lifted straight from the archives with no current modifications
  • Refurbished
    Previously-viewed art, modified and enhanced for current times
  • Alt Theme
    Past iFriday themes, presented when I have nothing for the current week's theme

Mission Statement

"It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not."
-- Andre Gide

Learn More about iFriday

Use this lovely banner:

IF logo

Contact

Hero for Hire

Put this creative services expertise to work for you:

Advertising