Marshall Art Studio:

Web Development + Design, Graphic Design, Illustration, Comic Book Art

Skip to Content

Marshall Art Studio: Illustration Friday

[Back to top]

Illustration Friday

iFriday

"There can be no understanding between the hands and the brain unless the heart acts as mediator."
-- Fritz Lang, Metropolis

In the future, the society of Metropolis is divided in two social classes: the workers, who live in the underground below the machines level, and the dominant classes that lives in the surface. The workers are controlled by their leader Maria, who wants to find a mediator between the upper class lords and the workers, since she believes that a heart would be necessary between brains and muscles. Maria meets Freder Fredersen, the son of the Lord of Metropolis Johhan Fredersen, in a meeting of the workers, and they fall in love for each other. Meanwhile, Johhan decides that the workers are no longer necessary for Metropolis, and uses a robot pretending to be Maria to promote a revolution of the working class and eliminate them. Official Movie Site

Comments So Far ...

Blogger Digital Scott's illustrationblog says:

Your illustration is AMAZING! I was excited, just from the IF thumbnail! Your illustration skills do not seem neglected at all. This is a really terrific idea, and done so beautifully.

Since I know you value sincere feedback. I will make an effort to try. (Like I wish you, and others would with my work too.) So, that being said, compositionally, I wish there was a little separation between the forearm and the upper arm. I don't know if it's possible, but you'd shifted the arm position so there had been a bit of "air space" or gap there, it would maybe be a little improvement on a GREAT illustration.

Selfishly I'd love to know more about your process. How you did it, how long it too, what you used, etc.

My blog is here: http://myillustrationblog.blogspot.com/ Permanent Link

Blogger Brine Blank says:

Okay...you wanted to hear the positive as well as the negative...positive...nice illustration and idea...negative...sorry, but this robot is clearly metric and you have her holding a standard socket-driver... Permanent Link

Blogger John Carlos says:

I like it a lot. Permanent Link

Blogger Rrramone says:

Where can I place my order?? Permanent Link

Anonymous robertc says:

that's one crazy, sexy cool illustration! great composition and staging. great socially conscious concept. Permanent Link

Blogger Dave M! says:

Digital Scott: How long do all my IF assignments take? Too damn long. I try to get 'em done over the weekend. See the words under the pretty pictures to chart my magnificent success.

Brine: You're absolutely right about the hardware inconsistency. My offshore technical advisor has let me down ... for the last time! I can assure my dedicated IF audience that I've learned a valuable lesson, and will outsource my visual reference for fictional robot babes again.

John Carlos: You have excellent taste. Please visit again.

John Carlos: Home Depot, Electrical Department, in about 100 years. Once commercially available, the robots will think for themselves and kill us all, creating either The Matrix or Terminator. So order quickly.

Robert C: Thanks. Every once in a while I try. Given how haphazard my IF working method is, I'm surprised these drawings are even coherent. Permanent Link

Blogger lucrezia says:

This is really, really good - definitely one of the best this week! Permanent Link

Anonymous amy c todd says:

im sooo proud of you - and she is cute, not the pam anderson reeking of STDs type you are inclined to draw... Permanent Link

Blogger Terry says:

I think I'd injure myself if I had one of those. Yummy robot. Permanent Link

What the Heck is Illustration Friday?

Think of it as a voluntary, client-free playground for illustrators. A topic is posted every Friday morning. Participants from around the world create, post and share their interpretations.

No Client? Why Bother?

At this stage of my career, I need a weekly public exercise to draw anything at all.

Freshness Dating

Unless otherwise stated, my iFriday work is all-new, created soley for that week's theme. Other Freshness categories include:

• Repurposed
    Old art, lifted straight from the archives with no current modifications
  • Refurbished
    Previously-viewed art, modified and enhanced for current times
  • Alt Theme
    Past iFriday themes, presented when I have nothing for the current week's theme

Mission Statement

"It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not."
-- Andre Gide

Learn More about iFriday

Use this lovely banner:

IF logo

Contact

Hero for Hire

Put this creative services expertise to work for you:

Advertising